Fair
45°FFairFull Forecast

Creosote ignites chimney fire; home spared

ROCK FALLS – It took firefighters about 3 hours Thursday to douse a chimney fire caused when "an excessive buildup" of creosote ignited.

Firefighters were called to the home at 3609 Harbor Drive about 8 a.m. after a neighbor reported seeing heavy smoke and flames, Fire Capt. Bill Milby said.

They disassembled the chimney to put out the fire; it did not spread to the rest of the house, Milby said.

The homeowners had a fire in the wood burner that ignited an "excessive creosote buildup" – wood particles and condensed flue gases that deposit inside the shaft.

It's a good idea to scrape out that buildup every 3 or 4 years, Milby said.

Comments

More News

Comments

National video



Reader Poll

In the wake of heightened scrutiny of police departments in Baltimore, New York, and Ferguson over treatment of minorities, how do you rate the performance of your local police department?
Excellent
Good
Fair
Poor