Digital Access

Digital Access
Access saukvalley.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, Daily including the e-Edition or e-Edition only.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from SaukValley.com, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Local

Creosote ignites chimney fire; home spared

ROCK FALLS – It took firefighters about 3 hours Thursday to douse a chimney fire caused when "an excessive buildup" of creosote ignited.

Firefighters were called to the home at 3609 Harbor Drive about 8 a.m. after a neighbor reported seeing heavy smoke and flames, Fire Capt. Bill Milby said.

They disassembled the chimney to put out the fire; it did not spread to the rest of the house, Milby said.

The homeowners had a fire in the wood burner that ignited an "excessive creosote buildup" – wood particles and condensed flue gases that deposit inside the shaft.

It's a good idea to scrape out that buildup every 3 or 4 years, Milby said.

Loading more