Fair
69°FFairFull Forecast
Pro Football Weekly Updated Draft Guide

Creosote ignites chimney fire; home spared

ROCK FALLS – It took firefighters about 3 hours Thursday to douse a chimney fire caused when "an excessive buildup" of creosote ignited.

Firefighters were called to the home at 3609 Harbor Drive about 8 a.m. after a neighbor reported seeing heavy smoke and flames, Fire Capt. Bill Milby said.

They disassembled the chimney to put out the fire; it did not spread to the rest of the house, Milby said.

The homeowners had a fire in the wood burner that ignited an "excessive creosote buildup" – wood particles and condensed flue gases that deposit inside the shaft.

It's a good idea to scrape out that buildup every 3 or 4 years, Milby said.

Comments

Get breaking news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from Sauk Valley Media!

Comments

National video



Reader Poll

Do you agree with President Trump ordering a missile attack against Syria in the aftermath of Syria’s apparent use of chemical weapons against its own people?
Yes
No
Not sure
No opinion