SAVANNA – Officials are trying to track down dental records to positively identify an elderly Savanna man who police and firefighters say died in a fire at his home early Thursday.
Martin Hansen, 82, owns the house at 1040 Vine St., just north of Savanna, Carroll County Coroner Matthew Jones said.
The man was burned beyond recognition, Jones said, and an autopsy will be conducted today.
The state fire marshal’s office is trying to determine where and how the fire started. The home is a total loss, and foul play is not suspected, Savanna Fire Chief Shawn Picolotti said.
A passing motorist called the Sheriff’s Department at 5:41 a.m. to report the fire. The house was fully engulfed and flames had spread to a shed when firefighters arrived, Picolotti said.
A body was found in a room near the front door, where family said Hansen sometimes stayed. No one else was in the home, he said.
Firefighters still were on scene at 4:30 p.m. trying to douse the smoldering fire, he said.