Fog/Mist
30°FFog/MistFull Forecast
Shaw Media Auctions

Electrical fire displaces family; no one injured

Published: Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2013 1:15 a.m. CST

DIXON – An electrical fire that started in an attic damaged a two-story Dixon home and displaced a family Monday.

Dixon City and Dixon Rural firefighters responded to 409 S. College Ave. at about 8 a.m.

The family of five or six, who were not identified, were able to evacuate safely, Dixon City Fire Lt. Keith Gabany said. No injuries were reported.

Most of the damage was confined to the attic, but water also damaged the floors below. A preliminary investigation shows the fire was electrical in nature, Gabany said.

The American Red Cross Lee County Branch of the Rock River Chapter has found the family a temporary place to stay and has provided them with means to buy needed goods.

More News

National video



Reader Poll

Rock Falls is considering a ban on leaf burning. Should the city finally take that step?
Yes. Sterling and Dixon have had bans for years. It’s time for Rock Falls to impose a ban.
No. It would be too great a burden for homeowners to dispose of fallen leaves in other ways.
Not sure
No opinion