Bookkeeper stole from fire district
ROCKFORD (AP) – A northern Illinois husband and wife have pleaded guilty to stealing thousands of dollars from a firefighting district where the woman worked as a bookkeeper.
The Rockford Register Star reported Saturday that Brenda Samuelson and her husband, Donald, pleaded guilty to theft of government property, conspiracy to commit theft and forgery.
Their scheme unraveled after a 2010 audit of the Pecatonica Fire Protection District’s finances.
An investigation revealed Brenda Samuelson made unauthorized disbursements from district funds to herself and her husband. Some were payroll checks made out to her husband, who did not work for the fire district.
They are scheduled to be sentenced on Feb. 12.
Information from: Rockford Register Star, http://www.rrstar.com
More State News
- Illinois cracks down on social media 'flash mobs'
- 8 Illinois Lottery payout checks bounce
- 11 people shot overnight in Chicago violence
- 3 charged after post rape on Facebook page
- No floor vote yet for gun carry bill