Rape victim’s body cremated privately
NEW DELHI (AP) – A young woman who died after being gang-raped and beaten on a bus in India’s capital was cremated privately as millions of grieving, angry residents demanded greater protection for women from sexual violence.
The cremation took place during a private ceremony in New Delhi soon after the woman’s body arrived in the capital Sunday on a special Air India flight from Singapore, where she died at a hospital Saturday after being sent for medical treatment.
The attack has forced India to confront the reality that sexually assaulted women are often blamed for the crime, forced to keep quiet and discouraged from going to authorities for fear of exposing their families to ridicule. Police often refuse to accept complaints from rape victims, and the rare prosecutions that reach courts can drag on for years.
More Nation & World News
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash
- Majority of number combos picked for Powerball pot
- Will Boy Scouts accept gay youth? Vote is imminent
- Google's products dig deeper into people's lives
- Pa. coffee run leads to hatchet hitchhiker arrest