Join the hoops conversation
The slang term "hoopin" has taken on life of its own here at SVM headquarters.
It started a couple years ago, when former Sports Editor Will Larkin received what he claimed was the complement of his life when a bystander commented, "He hoopin," after Will made a layup in a pickup game at the YMCA.
From then on, it's been a fairly regular part of the conversation here at SVM. So it only makes sense that as we venture out farther into the world of social media and video that we bring "hoopin" with us.
Starting next week, we'll shoot a weekly video in the state-of-the-art media center here at SVM talking about area basketball. It's actually just a conference room with a SVM banner behind us, but the magic of video makes it seem quite high-tech.
The program, much like the Pigskin Primer we shot during football season, will highlight big games, top teams and the players that have caught fire of late.
We'll also hit on other topics including conference races, holiday tournament and so on.
Heck, we may even talk about big-time D1 players like Joseph Bertrand, Matt Ross and Jaime Russell from time to time.
The name of this weekly show, "#SVMhoopin."
Why the hashtag in front of the title? Well because unlike football season, we're hoping that you'll join in on the conversation.
After taping, editing, and posting the video, we'll send it out on Twitter with the hashtag #SVMhoopin.
We want to hear what you think, but not just about the video.
I'll send out a few questions and maybe some random deep thoughts on the 2012-13 season. I hope you'll respond.
My compadres will also be partaking in the conversation.
We want you to join in. In fact, here's the kicker.
Each week, we'll be running excerpts from the "#SVMhoopin" conversation in the actual paper. That's right my friends, your thoughts could be dispensed to the thousands of readers of the Gazette and Telegraph.
Pretty cool, hunh?
One side note – we'll not print any vulgar language or things meant just to be bulletin board material.
We'd like to keep it intelligent. At least as intelligent as we are capable of.
Oh, but there's is more. After we get through the holidays, we'll be doing a similar project called "#SVMgrapplin."
That's for our wrestling fans out there. It may not be done exactly the same, but it'll try and takedown the important issues in the area wrestling scene.
So don't be shy. Join the SVM sports conversation on Twitter.
• Get on Twitter on Monday afternoon and search #SVMhoopin to see what SVM staffers and readers are talking about.
More Local News
- Milledgeville’s Adolph stepped into pitching role
- Family has been anchor to Cougars’ success
- Dukes issue 12 walks, hit five batters in loss
- Prep baseball: 1A/2A sectional capsules
- Prep softball: Class 1A Dakota Sectional capsule
- 1A Girls state track & field: Panthers finish runners-up in Class 1A
- Family ties Erie girls together
- Oregon’s Cullen, Long, BV’s Hoffert all place third in strong area showing
- Locals bring home two medals; Dobbs breaks record in 800
- Baseball: E-P's Cole makes single run work, two-hits Morrison for regional title