Man back in U.S., gets prison time
ROCKFORD – A Mexican man arrested earlier this year in Dixon was sentenced Monday to nearly 6 years in federal prison for re-entering the United States after being deported.
Manuel Alvarez-Ochoa, 23, pleaded guilty Aug. 14 in federal court in Rockford. He will be deported again after his 70-month sentence is served.
Alvarez-Ochoa, who has convictions for retail theft, robbery and aggravated battery in Lake County, was deported in May 2008.
He was arrested in Dixon on Feb. 17.
According to the indictment, he was in Dixon “without having previously obtained the express consent of the Attorney General of the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security for reapplication for admission into the United States.”
More Local News
- ‘From your garbage to your garden’
- In Iowa, jobless rates are lower
- Business notebook: Rock Falls Dollar General on the move
- Eichman 'meant to be' in Rock Falls
- A national award, won very quietly in Erie