44°FFog/MistFull Forecast

Blaze destroys home

Firefighter suffers burns fighting apparent dryer fire

Published: Friday, Nov. 16, 2012 1:15 a.m. CDT
(Alex T. Paschal/
Joshua Keene, 34, is embraced at the scene of his mobile home fire at 1103 Carondelet St. in Dixon Thursday morning. Keene, his wife Robin, and sons Ian, 13, and R.J., 4, lost everything, but have insurance. "We've been so careful," Keene said, adding that they fireproofed the home after a fire 5 years ago.
(Alex T. Paschal/
Dixon City Fire Capt. Mike Wilcox works the fire, which broke out around 8:30 a.m. Thursday.

DIXON – A family of four lost their home to fire Thursday.

Dixon City and Rural firefighters responded to a mobile home fire around 8:33 a.m. at 1103 Carondelet Road. It was under control within about 30 minutes, but the structure was a total loss, Capt. Mike Wilcox said.

Josh and Robin Keene and their sons Ian, 13, and R.J., 4, were not home at the time.

A Dixon firefighter, whom Wilcox declined to name, received second-degree burns around his face and neck.

The fire originated near the dryer, Wilcox said. “We believe it could have been an excessive lint buildup.”

The American Red Cross, Lee County Branch of the Rock River Chapter, provided three nights’ lodging, food, clothing and comfort kits for the Keene family.

An account had not yet been established Thursday, but the Red Cross said it will be able to provide information to assist the Keenes by calling 815-284-2829.

Get breaking news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from Sauk Valley Media!

National video

Reader Poll

There’s a movement afoot in the Illinois Legislature to name former President Barack Obama’s birthday (Aug. 4) as a legal holiday in Illinois. What do you think?
Good idea
Bad idea
Not sure
No opinion