BY Derek Barichello dbarichello@saukvalley.com 800-798-4085, ext. 526

Blaze destroys home

Firefighter suffers burns fighting apparent dryer fire

DIXON – A family of four lost their home to fire Thursday.

Dixon City and Rural firefighters responded to a mobile home fire around 8:33 a.m. at 1103 Carondelet Road. It was under control within about 30 minutes, but the structure was a total loss, Capt. Mike Wilcox said.

Josh and Robin Keene and their sons Ian, 13, and R.J., 4, were not home at the time.

A Dixon firefighter, whom Wilcox declined to name, received second-degree burns around his face and neck.

The fire originated near the dryer, Wilcox said. “We believe it could have been an excessive lint buildup.”

The American Red Cross, Lee County Branch of the Rock River Chapter, provided three nights’ lodging, food, clothing and comfort kits for the Keene family.

An account had not yet been established Thursday, but the Red Cross said it will be able to provide information to assist the Keenes by calling 815-284-2829.

Copyright © 2014 Northwest Herald. All rights reserved.