desktop...

Mostly Cloudy
46°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Blaze destroys home

Firefighter suffers burns fighting apparent dryer fire

Published: Friday, Nov. 16, 2012 1:15 a.m. CST
Caption
(Alex T. Paschal/apaschal@saukvalley.com)
Joshua Keene, 34, is embraced at the scene of his mobile home fire at 1103 Carondelet St. in Dixon Thursday morning. Keene, his wife Robin, and sons Ian, 13, and R.J., 4, lost everything, but have insurance. "We've been so careful," Keene said, adding that they fireproofed the home after a fire 5 years ago.
Caption
(Alex T. Paschal/apaschal@saukvalley.com)
Dixon City Fire Capt. Mike Wilcox works the fire, which broke out around 8:30 a.m. Thursday.

DIXON – A family of four lost their home to fire Thursday.

Dixon City and Rural firefighters responded to a mobile home fire around 8:33 a.m. at 1103 Carondelet Road. It was under control within about 30 minutes, but the structure was a total loss, Capt. Mike Wilcox said.

Josh and Robin Keene and their sons Ian, 13, and R.J., 4, were not home at the time.

A Dixon firefighter, whom Wilcox declined to name, received second-degree burns around his face and neck.

The fire originated near the dryer, Wilcox said. “We believe it could have been an excessive lint buildup.”

The American Red Cross, Lee County Branch of the Rock River Chapter, provided three nights’ lodging, food, clothing and comfort kits for the Keene family.

An account had not yet been established Thursday, but the Red Cross said it will be able to provide information to assist the Keenes by calling 815-284-2829.

More News

 

National video



Reader Poll

Should the U.S. government retaliate for the computer hack attack by North Korea against Sony?
Yes
No