Fair
48°FFairFull Forecast

Ex-powerbroker gives up bid to remain free

Published: Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2012 1:15 a.m. CDT • Updated: Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2012 12:57 p.m. CDT

CHICAGO (AP) – A former Illinois powerbroker has withdrawn his request to remain free pending appeal of his corruption conviction and will start serving a yearlong sentence on Jan. 4.

William Cellini’s one-page filing cites “the stress” the case has put on his family and the 78-year-old’s poor health.

Defense attorney Thomas Kirsch II tells The Associated Press Cellini is considering forgoing any appeal — even though he believes he would prevail.

Kirsch says the appeals process would take longer than Cellini’s one-year sentence. And he says Cellini and his family now want to put the legal saga behind them as quickly as possible.

Jurors convicted Cellini last year for trying to extort a movie producer for a $1.5 million contribution for then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s campaign.

 

National video

Reader Poll

This question is on the Nov. 4 ballot in Paw Paw: "Should the village of Paw Paw adopt an ordinance permitting and regulating the keeping of chickens within the village?" How would you vote?
Yes
No