Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, Daily including the e-Edition or e-Edition only.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.

Another bomb threat Tuesday at high school

Police say cases now in hands of state’s attorney

MORRISON – Again Tuesday afternoon, a bomb threat forced police to temporarily shut down Morrison High School.

According to a statement, Morrison Police received a report of a bomb threat at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. The high school was evacuated and closed.

A search of the school found no bomb, and the school was opened later in the afternoon, according to the statement from police.

This was the sixth in a string of bomb threats that have plagued the high school. Similar threats were made on April 8, April 29 and June 7 of 2011, as well as Feb. 21 and Sept. 11 of this year.

Morrison Police Chief Brian Melton said Tuesday his department had completed its investigation into the threats of Feb. 21 and Sept. 11, and those of April 8 and June 7 of 2011.

The same day the threat was made on Sept. 11, the department had a male juvenile in custody who made the threat, Melton said. The case was sent to the Whiteside County state’s attorney’s office for consideration of charges against him, Melton said.

In addition, the department has determined a 16-year old male was responsible for the threats made on April 8 and June 7 of 2011 and Feb. 21 of this year.

“We’ve sent that out for those instances in the case file involving that to the state’s attorney’s office, as well,” Melton said. “We’re awaiting determination of charges on that.”

The investigation of Tuesday’s threat and the other threat continues, he said.

“We’ve been working on these cases for quite a while,” he said. “They remain open until they are charged and convicted. They still remain open investigations should additional information [arise] or someone not be charged.”

Melton said the department is doing what it can to investigate the threats. But he said only one thing can stop further threats from being made.

“The deterrent is going to be justice,” he said. “Administrative action from schools in disciplining and justice in charging those responsible. We’re seeking for them to charge them to the full extent because this has to stop.”

The police chief said it is important to know none of the threats made “were made with the true intention of blowing up the school.”

“They have been jokes or pranks being made that suspects did for different purposes,” Melton said. “None of them were made with the intent of doing harm to the school or others.”

Loading more