Tweet, tweet, Rockets win
|Rock Falls coach Sheila Mammosser celebrates the Rockets' Class 3A regional title win over Sterling with her team Thursday at Sterling High School. (Philip Marruffofirstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Buy Sauk Valley Media Photos »|
I found an open seat near mid-court Thursday night at Homer Musgrove Fieldhouse, about halfway up the stands. Two rows down and across the aisle sat Sterling golf coach C.J. Wade.
As I prepared my notebook to keep a running score for the 3A Sterling Regional volleyball championship, Wade turned around and asked where my iPad was.
It was a good question, and I realized I had left it on the desk at the office. We both laughed, and I actually gave him a fist bump. I don't think fist bumps cross any lines of unbiased journalism.
The encounter left me thinking of all the tweets I was not going to be able to send in what turned out to be an epic 20-25, 25-15, 25-17 Rock Falls victory over Sterling.
So I thought I'd share the observations in posts of 140 characters or less that would otherwise be lost in time:
• At first glance, Sterling's student section is much bigger than Rock Falls. Oh wait, Rockets have late arrivals to help out. #bothsidesloud
• Right before the first serve, a Sterling fan runs along baseline dressed in a blue blowup suit with blue wig and mask #awesomecostume.
• Cierra Wilder just had two straight kills to give RF 10-9 lead. She always plays well in matches I see #luckycharmmaybe
• I wonder if I could return a Krista Loos serve. Right now RF can't. Just saw two aces in a row. Warriors up 19-17. #Loosplayerofyear?
• Morgan Mammosser just bumped a ball but none of her teammates react. Sterling wins Game 1 25-20. #RFbetterplaybetter
• Jenn Rahn has 3 kills in first six points. Sterling up 5-1. #thiscouldbeover
• I think I could return an Addy Nailor serve, but Sterling struggling with it. RF up 17-10. #rallyrockets
• Jordan Giddings going wild. RF looks more aggressive than Sterling. Warriors not used to teams handling big hitters. RF wins Game 2, 25-15.
• Outside hitters Mammosser, Linsey Brown starting to find angles. RF picking up where they left off. #upsetbrewing
• Some guy just yelled that the refs are missing a good game. I've never covered a game won by players. #alwaysrefsfault
• Sterling pulls within four points at 19-15, but can't seem to put together rally. Loos, Rahn, etc. fighting hard. #goingdownswinging
• Rockets knock Sterling out for 2nd straight year 25-17. Rowdies flooding court. Sterling girls fighting back tears. #oppositeemotions
• Linsey Brown just tapped Loos on shoulder. Two opponents hug before interview. Cool sign of respect between foes. #greatexample
• Sterling coach Dale Dykeman just called this hardest part of season to assistant. Thanks seniors for setting great examples. Warrior finish 34-3.
• Coach Sheila Mammosser just called this biggest win of career. Amazing to think about considering stellar track record.
• Wow, what a night. Lots of fun. Should get better next week at 3A Mendota Sectional. #goodluckrockets
More Local News
- Rock Falls’ Giddings mows down Duchesses
- Oregon battery sparks underdog Hawks past Panthers
- Adolph, Bush too much for Clippers
- Crist shuts out Cougars
- Sportshorts for Thursday, May 23, 2013