The Republican Party has been taken over by the far right. Conspiracy theories, half truths and outright lies are everywhere.
1) One of the drumbeats of the last 3.5 years is Obama is a socialist. This is false; actually pants on fire.
2) GOP’s convention theme of “We Built It” was taken out of context. Obama was talking about businesses, not building the roads and bridges.
3) Romney’s welfare ads say Obama takes work out of welfare. Fact checked many times as false. Obama is giving waivers to states to make work with welfare better. They must have a credible plan to increase employment by 20 percent.
4) The government takeover line about “Obamacare” repeated by Republican-elected officials (lie of the year in 2010). It’s through private insurance companies.
5) Romney’s own version of the death panels states that “Obamacare” has an unelected board that will tell seniors what treatments Medicare will cover. Again, not true. It’s a panel of experts whose purpose is to come up with ideas to slow Medicare spending. They have no say in treatment of any individual, and Congress can overrule their recommendations.
6) Romney says he has a plan for people with pre-existing conditions. Sorry, false; only if you have maintained continuous health insurance coverage (or, as Romney said on “60 Minutes,” people can go to the emergency room).
These were no gaffes; they are called lies, and if you repeat a lie often enough, people believe it.