Thunderstorm in Vicinity
70°FThunderstorm in VicinityFull Forecast

Squirrel dinner prep maybe sparked Michigan fire

HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex may have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch.

Fire Chief Jim Kohsel tells MLive.com that the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County's Holland Township when the fire broke out Wednesday. Flames spread to the roof. Kohsel says eight apartments are destroyed and others damaged.

The resident's name wasn't immediately released.

Kohsel says a firefighter broke a toe. No residents were injured.

Resident Tiffany Camburn told The Holland Sentinel that she and her neighbors had to evacuate their apartments.

The American Red Cross arranged temporary shelter and clothing for displaced residents.

Comments

More News

Comments

 

National video

Reader Poll

The seventh annual Whiteside County Barn Tour, featuring 11 barns near Sterling, is July 12-13. Have you ever gone on the tour?
Yes
No, but I plan to go this year
No