32°FFog/MistFull Forecast
Shaw Media Auctions

Quick-thinking customer kept other folks safe

Published: Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2012 1:15 a.m. CST

As I entered Walgreens in Sterling on Sept. 21, I made my way to the pharmaceutical department. When I got there, a good-looking woman was standing in line, and I said to her that I recognized her from the YMCA where she had remembered seeing me. Her name is Cori.

At that exact moment, I felt something on the back on my neck, and when I reached back to see what it was, I was stung by a bee. As instinct, I simply said, I’ve been stung by a bee, and there it goes (it was still flying around).

Cori, with no heistation, asked the clerk for a fly swatter, and she began to follow the bee (or should I say, she began to stalk the bee), and then the bee landed. With no regard for her own personal safety, she cast three tremendous swipes at the bee, and in an instant, the Mighty Mr. Bee was dead.

To ensure to the people that all was well, she picked up the bee and showed that it was indeed dead, and she handed it to the pharmacist who quickly disposed of it. We then said our goodbyes.

National video

Reader Poll

Rock Falls is considering a ban on leaf burning. Should the city finally take that step?
Yes. Sterling and Dixon have had bans for years. It’s time for Rock Falls to impose a ban.
No. It would be too great a burden for homeowners to dispose of fallen leaves in other ways.
Not sure
No opinion