Women left without home after fire in Prophetstown
Electrical problem likely cause of blaze, fire chief says
PROPHETSTOWN – A house’s faulty electrical system apparently caused a fire in Prophetstown on Saturday.
No one was hurt.
The blaze destroyed the two-story house at 312 Lafayette St., Fire Chief Keith Crady said.
Three women lived in the house – Nancy Sarmiento; her daughter, Andrea Koehn; and Sarmiento’s sister, Margie Koehn. They were away at the time, but their Pomeranian, Bella, died.
A neighbor called in the fire; firefighters responded about 8:45 a.m.
“The heat and smoke got everything. Everything inside was ruined,” Crady said.
The blaze appeared to have been caused by an electrical problem in a first-floor bathroom, he said.
Residents are seeking donations to help Nancy Sarmiento, Andrea Koehn and Margie Koehn, whose home was destroyed in a fire. Here’s what they need:
If you have any technical difficulties, either with your username and password or with the payment options, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org