SAVANNA – Manny’s Pizza, a longtime Savanna business, was destroyed by a fire that broke out early Sunday morning, apparently in the basement storage area.
Firefighters from 11 area departments battled the blaze that broke out around 6 a.m. in the two-story, 115-year-old brick building at 211 Main St.
In addition to the restaurant, there were four apartments on the top level; only two were occupied. All 10 or so residents quickly were accounted for and no one was injured, said Savanna Assistant Fire Chief Scott Wolfe, who was one of the first firefighters at the scene.
“I was just getting off work, my relief was just coming in and we had a walk-in report that there appeared to be a small fire up on the roof,” Wolfe said. “It originally looked to me like it was burning on the second floor in one of the apartments.”
“The way things progressed, and the way things were going, the fire took off downstairs. I’m thinking it maybe started in the basement.”
No cause has been determined; the state fire marshal is investigating.
No damage estimate was available Sunday night.
Thomson, Fulton, Chadwick and Mount Carroll were among the departments responding.